Frequently Asked Questions
If you’ve got questions about any aspect of your Coyote Trip, take a look at our FAQs. Whether you need packing tips, Wi-Fi information, or budgeting ideas – we’ve got you covered!
Who are we?
We made a whole page to answer just this question. Click here to read about us.
Why should you travel with us?
You’re choosing an experienced adventure tour provider, who prides themselves on offering incredibles experiences at affordable rates.
- We take you to our favourite parts of America with our all-encompassing, packed itineraries – these includes both unmissable sites and also a whole host of cultural experiences too!
- You’ll experience travelling with an amazing group of like-minded people – not just those travelling with you, but our expert, fun-loving adventure leaders too!
- You’ll give something back. Travelling in itself is the lifeblood of many of the local economies we visit, and we there are also some opportunities for volunteering work.
- We have robust safety management, which has been developed over many years of taking young people on our trips.
- We strive to be environmentally friendly and use sustainable travel – we ensure our travellers footsteps are light.
- We welcome travellers of any nationality, ethnicity, religion, political affiliation, gender and sexual orientation and are an inclusive operator.
- We are an LGBTQ-friendly travel operator!
- Our America trips are most suitable for travellers aged 18 to 35. However, we do occasionally make exceptions outside of this on an individual basis.
Who travels with us?
Our Coyotes may be disparate in the sense that they come from all over the world, but they are united by a love of travel, discovery, and the natural world! Generally our travellers are in their 20s, and have a whole range of interests and passions.
- Adventure leaders throughout your whole trip. These are guides who are passionate about the places that we take you to, and will unlock the local secrets.
- Accommodation in a mixture of places. We stay in city-centre hostels, we stay in Cabins by the Grand Canyon, and we stay in a casino hotel on the Strip in Las Vegas. All our accommodation adheres to both our safety standards and our standards for fun!
- All train, ferry and bus tickets and a flight from Boston to Vegas.
- Each trip has its own set of included unmissable activities.
- All National Park entrance fees.
- All taxes and charges.
What’s not included?
- Flights to and from the USA.
- The optional activities that you are able to take part in on each trip.
- Food and drink. However, we do offer a couple of foodie experiences!
- Any train/bus tickets for journeys made after the trip.
- Any pre- and post-trip nights – but we can book these for you.
- Tips are not included. Generally we’d advise 5 USD a day for your Adventure Leader, but feel free to be more generous!
When do the trips depart?
You can find the departure dates for each trip on their page!
Can I begin my trip on a non-listed date?
If you have a specific request, let us know and we’ll find a way to make it work. 🙂
Why is The Coyote Trip better than other travel companies?
We aim to strike a balance between the unmissable attractions and genuine cultural experiences. Our all itineraries are built around a blend of these, as well as fun evening activities, and a sense of giving back to the communities we visit. Our Adventure Leaders are all passionate, fun, and able to unlock the places that we visit. In addition, your group will often be like-minded, and you can potentially make friends for life! In addition to all of this, we do our best to make sure our trips are affordable.
What are the ages & nationalities of people booked on the trips?
Each trip will have a different demographic, but in general we have groups of between 10-15 people, and our travellers come from all over the world. We have Brits, Aussies, Germans, South Africans, Dutch, Kiwis and a whole lot more! The average group age tends to be the mid-20s.
How can I book my trip?
Really easy- you can book online through our website by clicking on the date and going to proceed booking. If you’d rather speak with someone then you can give us a call or email us at email@example.com or use our live chat at the bottom right!
What is the payment policy?
For all trips, a deposit of 10% is required in order to confirm your booking, and the remaining amount is due 70 days prior to your departure. If you book within 70 days then we’ll invoice for the full amount within 3 days.
How do I pay?
Through the website for the deposit and then either by phone or bank transfer!
British £ bank account details:
- Account holder: The Dragon Trip LLC
- Account Number: 9023 1983
- Sort Code: 23-14-70
- Branch Address: 56 Shoreditch High Street, London, E1 6JJ, United Kingdom
- SWIFT/BIC: TRWIGB2L
- IBAN: GB94 TRWI 2314 7090 2319 83
US $ bank account details (for customers based in the USA):
- Eastern Bank Account Name: The Dragon Trip LLC
- Account Number: 60141 9715
- Routing Number: 0113 01798
- Swift Code: EASRUS3B
- Send checks to: The Dragon Trip, 51 Melcher Street – First Floor, Boston, MA 02210, USA
US $ bank account details (for customers based outside of the USA, including Canada):
- Account Name: The Dragon Trip LLC
- Account Number: 822000243430
- Swift Code/BIC: CMFGUS33
- Address: 19 W 24th Street, New York, NY 10010, United States
Euro € bank account details (Inside EU and SEPA):
- Account name: The Dragon Trip LLC
- Bank Identifier Code: TRWIBEB1XXX
- International Bank Account Number: BE88 9672 5961 8341
- Address: Avenue Louise 54, Room S52, Brussels, 1050, Belgium
What is the refund policy?
Generally deposits are non-refundable but we will refund, in full, if your trip is cancelled due to COVID.
If The Dragon Trip (The Dragon Trip is the company which owns The Coyote Trip brand) goes out of business, would I still be able to get a refund?
Yes, as stated below:
Total Payment Protection (topp) Policy cover.
In compliance with the UK Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 an insurance policy has been arranged with Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), to protect customers’ prepayments in the unlikely event of our financial failure and paid in respect of:
- non-flight inclusive packages commencing and returning to the UK
- the ground handling aspects of packages where the customer is responsible for arranging travel to the destination offered in this brochure/literature/document/ on the website (subject to the terms of the insurance policy), for:
- a refund of such prepayments if customers have not yet travelled, or
- making arrangements to enable the holiday to continue if customers have already travelled
Customers’ prepayments are protected by a topp policy.
In the unlikely event of financial failure please contact the claims helpline on 0870 0137 965. A copy of the policy is available on request.
This policy is provided by Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), registered number 02527363 and underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Limited (Hiscox), registered number 00070234. t&g and Hiscox are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (number 113849)
How do our promotions work?
All promotions used must be stated at the time of booking and cannot be backdated. Promotions cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers. Any discount applied is at the sole discretion of the Coyote Trip.
Do I need a VISA?
It depends where you’re from! If you’re travelling from the UK for example, you only need an ESTA rather than a visa. This is easy to get and can be applied for online here. Do make sure to apply in plenty of time for this! However, in general it usually takes less than a week, and is available for UK citizens, Europeans and many other nationalities.
You can find out what your requirements for the USA are here. If you do need a visa to travel to the United States, we’d recommend applying in good time just to ensure you receive everything before you travel.
What travel insurance do I need for America?
We require all our customers to have backpacker’s travel insurance when coming on the trip. We recommend purchasing a travel insurance that offers ‘Bad Weather or Natural Disaster Coverage’.
Please bring details of your travel insurance along with you. In the event of an accident, we may need contact your insurance company on your behalf, so we will need the insurance company’s name, phone number, and your policy number. When it comes to who to choose, we’re big fans of World Nomads as a travel insurance provider.
Do I need any special vaccinations for USA?
Please do check with your local doctor/GP, but generally these are not required.
I’m not very physically fit! Is the trip suitable for me?
It can be! There are some elements of trips which require a moderate fitness level, and there are days with a fair amount of walking, but we can always arrange alternatives if need be. We ask any passengers travelling Coyote Trips to clarify this to us if they think it might be of note – this will just help us ensure that the tour works for you.
I have a medical condition – is this OK?
Generally yes, but please do inform us of your specific requirements at the point of booking.
Do I need a first aid kit?
All of our Adventure Leaders have a fully equipped first aid kit with them at all times, but do bring anything that will make you feel more comfortable.
If something happens, will I be able to get necessary medical attention?
There are modern hospitals throughout America, and you will be able to get the relevant medical attention.
What is the standard of accommodation?
All of the hostels we stay in are clean, comfortable and hygienic. They tend to well-located too, so you’ll be staying right in the heart of the cities we visit. We also stay in some cosy cabins by the Grand Canyon. However, in Vegas we splurge, and stay in a casino hotel on The Strip!
Do the hostels have WiFi? Will I be able to keep in touch with friends and family while in America?
There is Wi-Fi available in all the hostels. Depending on your phone contract, it may be that data is free to use.
Do I need to bring power converters?
Yes, you’ll need an adapter for the USA. In America, plug types A and B are accepted.
Who looks after our bags when we’re on transport and/or day excursions?
The bags will be stored at the hostels.
Can I upgrade to a private room?
Yes! If you’d like to upgrade to a private room, the prices are listed on each individual tour page. Please note that individual accommodations have varying setups with regards to private rooms and bathrooms – for example, not all accommodations may have private bathrooms available. If you email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, we’ll be able to provide you with more specific information.
What transport do you use?
We use a real range of transport on The Coyote Trip. This includes a flight from Boston to Las Vegas, buses, transfers, ferries, a Pacific coast train, and a bike! However, throughout the tours, the majority of our travelling happens on public transport such as local buses and trains.
Do you provide an airport transfer service?
The Coyote Trip provides, upon request, airport transfers.
Who are the Adventure Leaders?
Each group will be have an Adventure Leader with them. Our Leaders are passionate about the places that we visit, and will help bring to life the locations on our tour. They also be able to give you tips on life in the USA. Do note, though, you may have different Leaders throughout the trip, and certain travel sections – like the flight from Boston to Vegas or the transfer to and from Yosemite – are unguided.
What should I pack for my trip?
We strongly recommend packing light for The Coyote Trip. You’ll definitely need a sturdy pair of shoes and warm-weather clothes.
Suitcase or backpack?
A suitcase is OK, but a backpack/hold-all is much, much more convenient.
I’m doing this trip as part of a gap year so I’ll have a very large bag – is this OK?
This is not a problem and you’ll be only be using your bag on the transfers.
What should I bring?
- Sensible walking shoes
- Swimming costume
- Lightweight waterproof
- Student card if you have one, as there are a few student deals on the trip
- Travel insurance policy
- Photocopies of insurance policy, bank cards, passport photo page, visa
- A book!
- Warm clothes for sleeping in the KOA Cabins
- Sun-screen and after-sun
- Camera and charger – America is a photographer’s dream!
- A big bag and a small rucksack. We sometimes get separated from our big bags, so you’ll need to keep your valuables with you in a small bag.
How do I get money in America?
It’s easy to withdraw money and the majority of ATMs will accept foreign cards. Plus, you can often pay with your phone.
How much should I budget for food and drink on the Coyote Trip?
This can really vary. You can pick up a bagel for a few dollars, but eating out can be expensive. Our Adventure Leaders will show you good, delicious places to eat in that won’t break the bank. We’d advise budgeting 20 USD for meals a day.
Do I need to tip in America?
Yes! Tipping is as American as apple pie, and if you eat out you’ll be expected to tip. In many places, this will often be automatically added onto your bill.
What kind of food will we be eating on the trip?
There’s a huge range – much more than the stereotype of American food would have you think! That said, there’s also a tonne of awesome, traditional American options. Wherever you go, the portions are big – which means you can often share or take food home in a doggy bag! Our Adventure Leaders will help advise where best to eat and we make sure to try the local cuisines in the places we visit.
I’m vegetarian/have allergies – will I be able to get the right food?
Absolutely. Cities like LA, New York, and San Fran are heaven for people with allergies, as there’s a huge range of options that cater for many food requirements.
Can I use my mobile in America?
Yes! You may well have free calls and data, but this depends on your provider. If not, many phone networks allow you to purchase an upgrade for travelling, or you can just use Wi-Fi!
If I have an emergency on my trip, who should I contact?
If you encounter an emergency on your Coyote Trip in America, you can call our 24-hour emergency line which your Adventure Leader will give to you. This can also be found in your Booking Pack.