Frequently Asked Questions
If you have questions about any aspect of your America adventure tour then we’ve got you covered! From what to wear, how much money to take, wifi, hostels, food, group size to what adaptors you need- we’ve got the answers!
Who are we?
We made a whole page to answer just this question. Click here to read about us.
Why should you travel with us?
You’re choosing an experienced adventure tour provider who prides themselves on offering incredibles experiences at affordable rates.
- We take you to our favourite parts of America with our all-encompassing, packed itineraries – these includes both unmissable sites and also a whole host of cultural experiences too!
- Experience travelling with an amazing group of like-minded people – not just those travelling with you, but our expert, fun-loving adventure leaders too!
- Give something back- travelling in itself is the lifeblood of many of the local economies we visit and we also do some volunteering work.
- Robust safety management that have been developed over many years of taking young people on our trips.
- Environmentally friendly and sustainable travel – we ensure our travellers footsteps are light.
- We welcome travellers of any nationality, ethnicity, religion, political affiliation, gender and sexual orientation and are an inclusive operator
- We are a LGBTQ-friendly travel operator
- Our America trips are most suitable for travellers aged 18 to 35, however, we do occasionally make exceptions outside of this on an individual basis.
Who travels with us?
Our “Coyotes” may be disparate in the sense that they come from all over the world but they are united by a love of travel, discovery and the natural world! Generally our travellers are in their 20s and have a whole range of interests and passions.
- Adventure leaders throughout the whole trip- these are guides who are passionate about the places that we take you to and will unlock the local secrets.
- Accommodation is a mixture- we stay in city centre hostels, we camp in the National Parks (3 nights of the 21 are camping) and we stay in a casino hotel on the Strip in Vegas. All our accommodation adheres to both our safety standards and our standards for fun!
- All train, ferry and bus tickets and a flight from Boston to Vegas.
- Each trip has it’s set of included activities
- All National Park entrance fees
- Tents for camping
- All taxes and charges.
What’s not included?
- Flights to and from USA
- There are also optional activities you can do on each trip.
- Food and Drink – We do offer a couple of foodie experiences like bourbon tasting and making clam chowder.
- Any train/bus tickets for journeys made after the trip.
- Any pre and post nights but we can book these for you.
- Tips are not included and generally we’d advise 5 USD a day for your adventure leader but feel free to be more generous!
When do the trips depart?
Please find the departure dates for each trip on their page!
Can I begin my trip on a non-listed date?
Yes- if you have a specific request then let us know and we’ll find a way to make it work 🙂
Why is The Coyote Trip better than other travel companies?
We aim to strike a balance between the unmissable attractions and genuine cultural experiences. Our all itineraries are built around a blend of these as well as finding fun things for the evenings and a sense of giving back to the communities we visit. Our adventure leaders are all passionate, fun and able to unlock the places that we visit. Plus- your group will often be like-minded and potentially friends for life! All this and we make sure our trips are affordable.
What are the ages & nationalities of people booked on the trips?
Each trips has a different demographic but in general- we have groups of 10-15 people and our travellers come from all over the world. We have Brits, Aussies, Germans, South Africans, Dutch, Kiwis and a whole lot more. Average age tends to be people in their 20s .
How can I book my trip?
Really easy- you can book online through our website by clicking on the date and going to proceed booking. If you’d rather speak with someone then you can give us a call or email us at email@example.com or use our live chat at the bottom right!
What is the payment policy?
For all trips, a deposit of 10% is required in order to confirm your booking, and the remaining amount is due 70 days prior to your departure. If you book within 70 days then we’ll invoice for the full amount within 3 days.
How do I pay?
Through the website for the deposit and then either by phone or bank transfer!
British £ bank account details:
- HSBC Account Name: The Dragon Trip Pte. Ltd.
- Account Number: 8153 1115
- Sort Code: 40 02 08
- Branch Address: HSBC Bank Plc, 455 Strand, London, WC2R 0RH
- Swift Code: MIDLGB22 IBAN: GB82MIDL40020881531115
US $ bank account details (for customers based in the USA):
- Eastern Bank Account Name: The Dragon Trip LLC
- Account Number: 60141 9715
- Routing Number: 0113 01798
- Swift Code: EASRUS3B
- Send checks to: The Dragon Trip, 51 Melcher Street – First Floor, Boston, MA 02210, USA
US $ bank account details (for customers based outside of the USA, including Canada):
- HSBC Account Name: The Dragon Trip
- Account Number: 7454 4436
- Sort Code: 40 12 76
- Branch Address: HSBC Bank Plc, 455 Strand, London, WC2R 0RH
- Swift Code: HBUKGB4B IBAN: GB37HBUK40127674544436
Euro € bank account details:
- HSBC Account name: THE DRAGON TRIP
- Account type: FGN CURRENT
- Sort Code: 401276
- Account number: 76228606
- Bank Identifier Code: HBUKGB4B
- International Bank Account Number: GB77HBUK40127676228606
What is the refund policy?
Generally deposits are non-refundable but we will refund, in full, if your trip is cancelled due to COVID.
If The Dragon Trip (The Dragon Trip is the company which owns The Coyote Trip brand) goes out of business, would I still be able to get a refund?
Yes, as stated below:
Total Payment Protection (topp) Policy cover.
In compliance with the UK Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 an insurance policy has been arranged with Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), to protect customers’ prepayments in the unlikely event of our financial failure and paid in respect of:
- non-flight inclusive packages commencing and returning to the UK
- the ground handling aspects of packages where the customer is responsible for arranging travel to the destination offered in this brochure/literature/document/ on the website (subject to the terms of the insurance policy), for:
- a refund of such prepayments if customers have not yet travelled, or
- making arrangements to enable the holiday to continue if customers have already travelled
Customers’ prepayments are protected by a topp policy.
In the unlikely event of financial failure please contact the claims helpline on 0870 0137 965. A copy of the policy is available on request.
This policy is provided by Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), registered number 02527363 and underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Limited (Hiscox), registered number 00070234. t&g and Hiscox are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (number 113849)
How do our promotions work?
All promotions used must be stated at the time of booking and cannot be backdated. Promotions cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers. Any discount applied is at the sole discretion of the Coyote Trip.
Do I need a VISA?
No- you just need to apply for an ESTA to get into the U.S. This is easy to get and can be applied for online and you can apply here
Do make sure to apply in plenty of time for this- it usually takes less than a week and is available for UK citizens, Europeans and many other nationalities.
What travel insurance do I need for America?
We require all our customers to have backpackers travel insurance when coming on the trip. We recommend purchasing a travel insurance that offers ‘Bad Weather or Natural Disaster Coverage’.
Please bring details of your travel insurance along with you. In the event of an accident, we may need contact your insurance company on your behalf, so we will need the insurance company’s name and phone number and your policy number. When it comes to who to choose, we’re big fans of World Nomads as a travel insurance provider.
Do I need any special vaccinations for USA?
Please do check with local doctor/GP but generally these are not required.
I’m not very physically fit! Is the trip suitable for me?
Yes- there are some elements that require a moderate fitness and there’s day with a fair amount of walking but we can always arrange alternatives if need be.
I have a medical condition – is this OK?
Generally yes, but please do inform us of your specific requirements at the point of booking.
Do I need a first aid kit?
All of our Adventure Leaders have a fully equipped first aid kit with them at all times but do bring anything that will make you feel more comfortable.
If something happens, will I be able to get necessary medical attention?
There are modern hospitals throughout America and you will be able to get the relevant medical attention.
What is the standard of accommodation?
All of the hostels we stay in are clean, comfortable and hygienic. They tend to well-located too so you’ll be staying right in the heart of the cities we are visiting. We also camp in the Grand Canyon and Yosemite National Park- we’ll provide the tents. In Vegas- we splurge and stay in a casino hotel on The Strip!
Do the hostels have WIFI? Will I be able to keep in touch with friends and family while in America?
There is Wi-Fi available in all the hostels and it may be that data is free to use depending on your phone contract.
Do I need to bring power converters?
Yes- you’ll need an Adaptor for the U.S!
Who looks after our bags when we’re on transport and/or day excursions?
The bags will be stored at the hostels!
Can I upgrade to a private room?
Yes! If you’d like to upgrade to a private room the prices are listed on each individual tour page.
What transport do you use?
We use a real range of transport on The Coyote Trip. This includes a flight from Boston to Las Vegas, Greyhound buses, private transfers, ferries, a Pacific coast train and a bike!
Do you provide an airport transfer service?
The Coyote Trip provides, upon request, airport transfers.
Who are the adventure leaders?
Each group will be have an adventure leader with them. Our adventure leaders are passionate about the places that we visit and will help bring to life the locations on our tour as well as explaining what life is like in the U.S! You may have different adventure leaders throughout the trip and the flight from Boston to Vegas is unguided.
What should I pack for my trip?
We strongly recommend packing light for The Coyote Trip. You’ll definitely need a sturdy pair of shoes and warm-weather clothes.
Suitcase or backpack?
Suitcase is OK, but a backpack/hold-all is much, much more convenient.
I’m doing this trip as part of a gap year so I’ll have a very large bag – is this OK?
This is not a problem and you’ll be only be using your bag on the transfers.
- Sensible walking shoes
- Swimming costume
- Lightweight waterproof
- Student card if you have one, as there are a few student deals on the trip
- Travel insurance policy
- Photocopies of insurance policy, bank cards, passport photo page, visa
- Sleeping bag for camping * can be purchased on trip
- Warm clothes for camping
- Sun-screen and after-sun
- Camera and charger – America is a photographer’s dream!
- A big bag and a small rucksack. We sometimes get separated from our big bags, so you’ll need to keep your valuables with you in a small bag.
How do I get money in America?
It’s easy to withdraw money and the majority of ATMs will accept foreign cards plus you can often pay with your phone.
How much should I budget for food and drink on the Coyote Trip?
This can really vary- you can pick up a bagel for a few dollars but eating out can be expensive. Our adventure leaders will show you good, delicious places to eat at that won’t break the bank. We’d advise budgeting 20 usd for meals a day.
Do I need to tip in America?
Yes- tipping is as American as apple pie and if you eat out you’ll be expected to tip and this will often be automatically added onto your bill.
What kind of food will we be eating on the trip?
There’s a huge range and much more than the stereotype of American cuisine would have you think. That said, there’s also a tonne of awesome, American options. Wherever you go – the portions are big which means you can often share or take food home in a doggy bag! Our adventure leaders will help advise where best to eat and we make sure to try the local cuisines in the places we visit!
I’m vegetarian/have allergies – will I be able to get the right food?
Absolutely- there’s a huge range on offer. In cities like L.A, New York and San Fran- it’s absolute heaven for people will allergies as there’s a huge range of delicious options catering for every need 🙂
Can I use my mobile in America?
Yes- you may well have free calls and date but this depends on your provider. If not- you can purchase an upgrade or just use Wi-fi!
I have an emergency on my trip, who should I contact?
If you encounter an emergency on your Coyote Trip in America, you can call our 24-hour emergency line which your adventure leader will give to you.
For all other calls, please contact our team in London on +44 (0)207 157 9964.