Frequently Asked Questions | The Coyote Trip | Canada Adventure Tours

Frequently Asked Questions

If you’ve got questions about any aspect of your Canada Coyote Trip, take a look at our FAQs. Whether you need packing tips, Wi-Fi information, or budgeting ideas – we’ve got you covered!

Who are we?

We made a whole page to answer just this question. Click here to read about us.

Why should you travel with us?

You’re choosing an experienced adventure tour provider, who prides themselves on offering incredibles experiences at affordable rates.

  • We take you to our favourite parts of Canada with our all-encompassing, packed itineraries – these includes both unmissable sites and also a whole host of cultural experiences too!
  • You’ll experience travelling with an amazing group of like-minded people – not just those travelling with you, but our expert, fun-loving adventure leaders too!
  • You’ll give something back. Travelling in itself is the lifeblood of many of the local economies we visit, and we there are also some opportunities for volunteering work.
  • We have robust safety management, which has been developed over many years of taking young people on our trips.
  • We strive to be environmentally friendly and use sustainable travel – we ensure our travellers footsteps are light.
  • We welcome travellers of any nationality, ethnicity, religion, political affiliation, gender and sexual orientation and are an inclusive operator.
  • We are an LGBTQ-friendly travel operator!
  • Our Canada trips are most suitable for travellers aged 18 to 35. However, we do occasionally make exceptions outside of this on an individual basis.

Who travels with us?

Our Coyotes may be disparate in the sense that they come from all over the world, but they are united by a love of travel, discovery, and the natural world! Generally our travellers are in their 20s, and have a whole range of interests and passions.

What’s included?

  • Adventure leaders throughout your whole trip. These are guides who are passionate about the places that we take you to, and will unlock the local secrets.
  • Accommodation – we stay in hostels throughout our tours, and we ensure that they’re well-located, clean, and comfortable.
  • All train, ferry and bus tickets within your tour.
  • Each trip has its own set of included unmissable activities.
  • All National Park entrance fees.
  • All taxes and charges.

What’s not included?

  • Flights to and from Canada.
  • The optional activities that you are able to take part in on each trip.
  • Food and drink. However, we do offer a couple of fun experiences, like a distillery or donut tour!
  • Any train/bus tickets for journeys made after the trip.
  • Any pre- and post-trip nights – but we can book these for you.
  • Tips are not included. Generally we’d advise 5-10 CAD a day for your Adventure Leader, but feel free to be more generous!

When do the trips depart?

You can find the departure dates for each trip on their page!

Why is The Coyote Trip better than other travel companies?

We aim to strike a balance between the unmissable attractions and genuine cultural experiences. Our all itineraries are built around a blend of these, as well as fun evening activities, and a sense of giving back to the communities we visit. Our Adventure Leaders are all passionate, fun, and able to unlock the places that we visit. In addition, your group will often be like-minded, and you can potentially make friends for life! In addition to all of this, we do our best to make sure our trips are affordable.

What are the ages & nationalities of people booked on the trips?

Each trip will have a different demographic, but in general we have groups of between 10-15 people, and our travellers come from all over the world. We have Brits, Aussies, Germans, South Africans, Dutch, Kiwis and a whole lot more! The average group age tends to be the mid-20s.


Please note: Some of these tours (for example, the Western Canada Cities Tour) include alcohol tasting activities. To take part in these, travellers are required to be over 19 years old. 

How can I book my trip?

Really easy- you can book online through our website by clicking on the date and going to proceed booking. If you’d rather speak with someone then you can give us a call or email us at or use our live chat at the bottom right!

What is the payment policy?

For all trips, a deposit of 10% is required in order to confirm your booking, and the remaining amount is due 70 days prior to your departure. If you book within 70 days then we’ll invoice for the full amount within 3 days.

How do I pay?

Through the website for the deposit and then either by phone or bank transfer!


Please note that The Dragon Trip is the company which owns The Coyote Trip brand.

British £ bank account details:

  • Account holder: The Dragon Trip LLC
  • Account Number: 9023 1983
  • Sort Code: 23-14-70
  • Branch Address: 56 Shoreditch High Street, London, E1 6JJ, United Kingdom
  • IBAN: GB94 TRWI 2314 7090 2319 83

US $ bank account details (for customers based in the USA):

  • Eastern Bank Account Name: The Dragon Trip LLC
  • Account Number: 60139 6242
  • Routing Number: 0113 01798
  • Swift Code: EASRUS3B
  • Send checks to: The Dragon Trip, 51 Melcher Street – First Floor, Boston, MA 02210, USA

US $ bank account details (for customers based outside of the USA, including Canada):

  • Account Name: The Dragon Trip LLC
  • Account Number: 822000243430
  • Swift Code/BIC: CMFGUS33
  • Address: 19 W 24th Street, New York, NY 10010, United States

Euro € bank account details (Inside EU and SEPA):

  • Account name: The Dragon Trip LLC
  • Bank Identifier Code: TRWIBEB1XXX
  • International Bank Account Number: BE88 9672 5961 8341
  • Address: Avenue Louise 54, Room S52, Brussels, 1050, Belgium

What is the refund policy?

Generally deposits are non-refundable but we will refund, in full, if your trip is cancelled due to COVID.

If The Dragon Trip (the company which owns The Coyote Trip brand) goes out of business, would I still be able to get a refund?

Yes, as stated below:

Total Payment Protection (topp) Policy cover.
In compliance with the UK Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 an insurance policy has been arranged with Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), to protect customers’ prepayments in the unlikely event of our financial failure and paid in respect of:

  • non-flight inclusive packages commencing and returning to the UK
  • the ground handling aspects of packages where the customer is responsible for arranging travel to the destination offered in this brochure/literature/document/ on the website (subject to the terms of the insurance policy), for:
    • a refund of such prepayments if customers have not yet travelled, or
    • making arrangements to enable the holiday to continue if customers have already travelled

Customers’ prepayments are protected by a topp policy.  

In the unlikely event of financial failure please contact the claims helpline on 0870 0137 965. A copy of the policy is available on request.

This policy is provided by Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), registered number 02527363 and underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Limited (Hiscox), registered number 00070234. t&g and Hiscox are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (number 113849)

How do our promotions work?

All promotions used must be stated at the time of booking and cannot be backdated. Promotions cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers. Any discount applied is at the sole discretion of the Coyote Trip.

Do I need a VISA?

A number of countries are visa-exempt, and travellers from these regions only need to apply for an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) before travelling to Canada. You can find out whether your country is eligible here. If your country is not on the list of eTA exemptions, you will need to apply for a visa for travel into Canada. You can find the full list of countries which require a visa here.

You can find out what your individual requirements are on the Canadian Government website here.

What travel insurance do I need for Canada?

We require all our customers to have backpacker’s travel insurance when coming on the trip. We recommend purchasing a travel insurance that offers ‘Bad Weather or Natural Disaster Coverage’.

Please bring details of your travel insurance along with you. In the event of an accident, we may need contact your insurance company on your behalf, so we will need the insurance company’s name, phone number, and your policy number. When it comes to who to choose, we’re big fans of World Nomads as a travel insurance provider.

Do I need any special vaccinations for Canada?

Please do check with your local doctor/GP, but generally these are not required.

I’m not very physically fit!  Is the trip suitable for me?

Yes! There are some elements of trips which require a moderate fitness level, and there are days with a fair amount of walking, but we can always arrange alternatives if need be. However, please be aware that the Rockies tour is a bit more adventurous!

I have a medical condition – is this OK?

Generally yes, but please do inform us of your specific requirements at the point of booking.

Do I need a first aid kit?

All of our Adventure Leaders have a fully equipped first aid kit with them at all times, but do bring anything that will make you feel more comfortable.

If something happens, will I be able to get necessary medical attention?

There are modern hospitals throughout Canada, and you will be able to get the relevant medical attention.

What is the standard of accommodation?

All of the hostels we stay in are clean, comfortable and hygienic. They’re also very well-located, meaning we’re close to all the action!

Do the hostels have WiFi?  Will I be able to keep in touch with friends and family while in Canada?

There is Wi-Fi available in all the hostels. Depending on your phone contract, it may be that data is free to use.

Do I need to bring power converters?

Yes, you’ll need an adaptor. In Canada, plug types A and B are accepted.

Who looks after our bags when we’re on transport and/or day excursions?

The bags will be stored at the hostels or in the transport ‘checked luggage’ area.

Can I upgrade to a private room?

Yes! But please note that upgrades are not possible in a couple locations (e.g. Whistler Pangea Pod Hotel).  If you’d like to upgrade to a private room, the prices are listed on each individual tour page. Single, double or twin room upgrades may be available, but the availabilities of these may vary depending on the specific accommodation.

A note on the Whistler Pangea Pod Hotel:

In Whistler, we stay in the Pangea Pod Hotel, located in the heart of the Whistler pedestrian village, rather than in a hostel. All pods have secure storage space(s) assigned to them. Pods feature both an in-pod cabinet for your valuables and electronics (which you can keep on charge while they’re locked up) and an area within each pod, where you can secure your luggage in place using a provided security cable.

We recommend you bring two locks as follows:

  1. A lock for the private cubby – to lock up your valuables.
  2. A lock for the provided security cable – for your luggage.

Note that you may be assigned to a pod on the “loft floor”, which have separate lockable cubbies large enough for a case measuring 32”x22”x15” (82cm x 56cm x 37cm). As such, a security cable is not required nor provided.

We’d generally recommend you bring combination locks rather than key locks – it’s just one less thing to lose! And yes, of course, you can always purchase locks from the in-hotel shop at the Pangea Pod Hotel if you forget to bring your own.

What transport do you use?

We use a real range of transport throughout our Canada tours. This will include buses, coaches, trains, and ferries!

Who are the Adventure Leaders?

Each group will be have an Adventure Leader with them. Our Leaders are passionate about the places that we visit, and will help bring to life the locations on our tour. They will also be able to give you tips on life in Canada. Do note, though, you may have different Leaders throughout the trip.

What should I pack for my trip?

We strongly recommend packing light for The Coyote Trip. You’ll definitely need a sturdy pair of shoes and warm-weather clothes.

Suitcase or backpack?

A suitcase is OK, but a backpack/hold-all is much, much more convenient.

I’m doing this trip as part of a gap year so I’ll have a very large bag – is this OK?

Our transport partners’ standard baggage allowances are one ‘checked bag’ of maximum 22.5kg per traveller, plus a carry-on bag. Please ask us for more information if you plan on bringing more than this, as it may require that you pay for extra or overweight bags and/or temporarily store extra bags while on tour.

What should I bring?

  • Flip-flops
  • Sensible walking shoes. These don’t need to be specifically hiking boots, unless you plan on completing more challenging trails by yourself. However, if you’re travelling when the weather might be wetter or colder, you may want to consider them.
  • T-shirts
  • A hat, for the sun and the rain! You may also want to bring a beanie, as it can get colder in the higher altitudes – even in the summer. (For the same reason, you may also want to bring gloves.)
  • Shorts/skirts
  • A couple of jumpers – you might need layers!
  • Swimming costume
  • Lightweight waterproof
  • Towel
  • Washbag
  • Passport
  • Currency – Canadian dollars (CAD)
  • Travel insurance policy
  • Photocopies of insurance policy, bank cards, passport photo page, visa
  • A lock for your bags while out during the day [see Accommodation > A note on the Whistler Pangea Pod Hotel for more details.]
  • A book!
  • Sunscreen and aftersun
  • Camera and charger – Canada is a photographer’s dream!
  • A big bag and a small rucksack. We sometimes get separated from our big bags, so you’ll need to keep your valuables with you in a small bag.

How do I get money in Canada?

It’s easy to withdraw money and the majority of ATMs will accept foreign cards. However, you may want to inform your bank that you will be travelling out of the country for security purposes. In addition, you can pay with Visa and Mastercard debit and credit cards in most places, including contactless payments when those cards are setup on your phone.

How much should I budget for food and drink in Canada?

This can really vary. You can pick up a bagel for a few dollars, but eating out can be expensive. Our Adventure Leaders will show you good, delicious places to eat in that won’t break the bank. In addition, most of the hostels have kitchen facilities where you can prepare your own meals. We’d advise budgeting between 20-40 CAD for meals a day.

Do I need to tip in Canada?

Yes! In Canada, you’ll be expected to tip in bars and restaurants. In many places, this will often be added automatically to your bill. Though this might not be the standard practice in your home country, consider it part of your cultural experience! We’d suggest a tip of 15-20% in restaurants, and about a $1 per drink at a bar. If you’re travelling via taxi, we’d suggest a 10% tip.

What kind of food will we be eating on the trip?

There’s a huge range of options in Canada, from the more ubiquitous types of food found all over to traditional and local foods. Our Adventure Leaders will help advise where best to eat and we make sure to try the regional dishes in the places we visit. There will be something for everyone!

I’m vegetarian/have allergies – will I be able to get the right food?

Absolutely. Cities like Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa are full of options for people with allergies, and there are places all over that cater for many food requirements. However, if you have specific food allergens or restrictions, be sure to let your Adventure Leader know, and speak to individual establishments to learn more.

Can I use my mobile in Canada?

Yes! You may well have free calls and data, but this depends on your provider. If not, many phone networks allow you to purchase an upgrade for travelling, or you can just use Wi-Fi!

If I have an emergency on my trip, who should I contact?

If you encounter an emergency on your Coyote Trip in Canada, you can call our 24-hour emergency line, which your Adventure Leader will give to you. This can also be found in your Booking Pack.


Proceed Booking

Make your enquiry

Make an enquiry